Let's Get **IT Out of Our Oceans
We Can All Make A Difference
With over 800 billion pounds of plastic being produced each year, these persistent chemical pollutants pose a real and present threat to the health of virtually all life on earth. Becoming educated about plastic pollution is a critical step towards change. With knowledge, we can begin to make better choices that lead to better outcomes. Learn more about plastic pollution.
The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.~ Robert Swan, Environmentalist
Taking the Initiative
Pointing the way forward towards a sustained commitment to addressing the plastic problem, the following corporations are a small sampling of who’s taking action:
- McDonald’s, Starbucks, Disney, United Airlines, Hyatt: All have discontinued plastic straws.
- Red Lobster: The world’s largest seafood restaurant is discontinuing single-use plastics entirely.
- Carlsberg Beer: The first beer producer to stop using the plastic multi-pack rings that hold beer cans together, replacing them with recyclable glue.
- Dell, Hewlett-Packard, GM and IKEA: Part of a coalition company that employs people living in coastal regions to collect discarded plastic to prevent it from getting into the sea. The reclaimed plastic is then used in manufacturing instead of new plastic.
- New Plastics Economy Global Commitment: A collective of 250 organizations, including Apple, H&M, L’Oréal, Target, Walmart, Colgate-Palmolive, Philips, SC Johnson, Unilever, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Danone and Nestlé, whose goal is to create a plastic recycling infrastructure, and to foster the innovation of compostable plastics.
The actions of big corporations have a wide reach, so it’s encouraging to see popular brands in the marketplace taking meaningful steps towards positive change. No less important are actions that can be taken by small businesses. At Stoolie Stool Inc, we take seriously our commitment to do no harm to the environment:
Stoolie is made from Canadian Cherry Wood certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
Our wood stain and paint finishes are plant- and water-based, 100% free of VOCs, biodegradable and completely safe for people, plants and animals.
From our uncoated shipping box, Kraft paper sealing tape, and recyclable packing and marketing materials, our packaging is entirely eco-friendly.
A portion of our proceeds is donated to Plastic Oceans International.
The challenge of solving the plastic pollution problem can seem overwhelming. No one can solve it alone, but collectively it is possible to reduce, and ultimately reverse, plastic’s destructive impact.
Right now, eight million tonnes of plastic end up in the oceans every year. The actions of any just one of us may seem to be trivial and to have no effect. But the knowledge that there are thousands, hundreds of thousands of people who are doing the same thing, that really does have an effect.~ Sir David Attenborough, Natural Historian